Nut-free Lemon Maca Energy Balls
I react sensitive to too many nuts… unfortunately “too many” can be as little as a handful. So I try to create recipes without nuts from time to time, yet with the same benefits of healthy fats that I am craving for!
These nutfree, sugar free and of course vegan energy balls were surprisingly easy to make and turned out really well!!
They store in a fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
What you need:
- 1 cup/ 100g (gluten free) oats
- 2 tbsp maca powder
- Juice & zest of 1/2 small lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 25g raw cacao butter = 2 tbsp melted cacao
- 2 tbsp solid coconut oil
- 150g / 7 medjool dates
How to create:
- Ground your oats in a food processor to a fine flour. Add maca and salt. Set aside.
- On low heat melt the cacao butter and coconut oil. Add the lemon juice & lemon zest, combine with the oat flour & maca mix.
- In the food processor pulse your dates (take out the stones first!) until you have a sticky dough. Work the dates into the rest of your ingredients with your hands. The dough will be quite oily. Don’t worry, that’s on purpose.
- Roll small balls in your hands and let them set in the fridge fir at least 2 hours. Careful: put them on a baking paper and make sure they don’t touch each other – otherwise they will stick together.
You can buy all ingredients in your local health food shop or in a bigger Migros (in Switzerland), except for the maca powder. I order mine from Iswari.